Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A 12 Day Plan of Simple Writing Exercises - Day 3

Day 3:
Write a setting based on the most beautiful place you’ve ever seen.

My feet hurt, tied in thick boots that I've tripped over far too many times to count.  The weather is hot, with the shorts and t-shirt I'm wearing feeling like concrete from the heat and sweat in the air.  My hips stopped aching a long time ago from the back pack resting there, and instead are a dull throb as I follow the ground down a winding trail made of rocks and dirt and surrounded by trees.  The edge of the trees is near and I'm not looking forward to stepping out into the direct sunlight, knowing that it'll only get hotter and we're not even halfway through the walking for today yet.

It's moments later when the trail leads us out from under the trees and I'm hit full on with the burning summer sun.  Now there are no trees and the path cuts across a clearing with patches of tall grass and a large dip of liquid blue fire in the middle of it.

(Not my picture below, but it is the actual lake)

I don't remember the last time I've ever seen a lake with water so bright.  I'm not exaggerating, the lake itself actually looked like it was made of blue fire, burning right out of the ground.  In that moment the only thing I wanted was to run over and drop into the water, complete with my hiking boots and heavy backpack, but I knew even with the warm weather the water would be freezing cold to the touch.  So instead I just stood there and stared at the blue fire in front of me, finding out only later that the name of it was Misty Moon Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment