Friday, June 27, 2014

Character Days: Harriet Wright from the Dawn of Steam Trilogy



Character Days: Harriet Wright from the Dawn of Steam Trilogy

Tell me a little about yourself and the world you live in.  



Well, apparently it's possible that a world could be such where all the trouble in the colonies /didn't/ settle down (maybe without George III's Very Unfortunate Airship Accident, it wouldn't have, though that's a dreadful thing to say, I know!) and we /didn't/ give Napoleon a good thrashing with the latest Oxford technology -- and all of Cousin James's clever ideas for where exactly you use a steam-powered battle suit. But I'm from Virginia Colony, and everything's quite normal there.

Tell us your most closely guarded secret.

What? But they sai -- oh, that's a joke, isn't it? See, I'm getting much better at these polished, subtle-type jokes. I'd certainly have to talk to James and Jillian before I actually told a thing like that!

Tell us about your single most important memory.  What was it and how does it affect you now?

Don't make me choose between first seeing the new 1810 tractor installation and my first day of the London Season!

What type of person are you?  Are you a hero or do you shy away from conflict?  

Oh, well, we've got quite enough heroism in the family already, but I go along, just to help.

Do you have any hobbies, any special talents?

Well I can overhaul an -- oh, wait, that's Best Not Talked About. I'm the second-best birdhouse builder in Northumberland County. That's not unladylike, right? Birdhouses are artistic.

And in that line, what would be your ideal day?  

I just want to go to a proper genteel party and not have anything Go Wrong. No hair all wrong, no crumbs, no spills, no dropped fans, no assassination attempts -- just dancing and conversation and nice young gentlemen!

Do you have anyone close to you, any family or friends of interest?

Well, my cousins, James and Jillian, of course, and back home, Mother, Daddy, and my brothers. And everyone on the crew of the Dame Fortuna are just lovely people ... to one extent or another ... mostly.

What is your most prized possession?

Oh, I could never decide between all the lovely things I've gotten since coming to live with Jillian. She's got the most exquisite taste, you know.

What initially spurred your actions in this story?  Obviously it had to start somewhere for you; give us an idea of where that starting point is and where it all started.

Oh, it all really starts before this expedition, for me, back during the war, when James and Jillian came to visit in Virginia and run a few tests on the battle suit, and well ... things happened. We all decided Jillian needed a Lady's Companion anyway, and I went with them. I stayed on after the war, and now we've got this new thing proving the impossible and all.

How do you envision your future?

If we survive this whole trip, then when we get the last round of heroes' welcomes in London, there's sure to be plenty of eligible young gentlemen. I'm not going back to the farm.

Tell us where we can read more about you?
Dawn of Steam: First Light, and all the ones to come.
Author's blog or website: 
www.dawnofsteam.net

Would you like one of your characters interviewed on my blog?  Let me know with a comment or you can visit my easy form and fill out the questions yourself.  I look forward to reading about your character!



******************************************************************************************************
Jessica Walsh is urban fantasy author who lives in Minnesota with her partner Briana Lawrence. 

You can purchase their first book together Seeking the Storyteller on Amazon and other online retailers. 

Briana Lawrence also has a collection of solo books listed on their website and you can often times find them in costume at anime conventions around the US.  

For more information about their books, costumes and crafts, please visit our website: Sewn Together Reflections

No comments:

Post a Comment