Thursday, August 28, 2014

Characters Days: Luke Coles from Luke Coles and the Flower of Chiloe

Sorry for the late character days, had to take the day off yesterday.  ^__^

Character Days: Luke Coles from Luke Coles and the Flower of Chiloe

Tell me a little about yourself and the world you live in.  (If the character and story is our world, tell me about the neighborhood or city, town, country etc)  

First, I don't know what my real name is, or where I am from. The first memory I have is of Gettysburg, when I fought there under Colonel Joshua Chamberlain. After that battle, I became a traveler of sorts. My world is your world, but I see a side of it that most don't. Every myth, fairytale, and god you have ever heard of -- they exist. Magic and monsters are real. A person can live a whole lifetime without seeing them, but, if you look hard enough, you will find them. In this world I have known two homes: Guaymas, Mexico and Chiloe Island. I was a miner in Guaymas, but it is hard to work in a haunted mine. After, I was a school teacher, in Ancud, on Chiloe Island. It is a haunted island off the coast of southern Chile: known for witchcraft, mythological creatures, and magic.

Tell us your most closely guarded secret?

My biggest secret is that I am a mimic, that I am not dead, or that I am two hundred years old. I'm not sure which one.

Tell us about your single most important memory.  What was it and how does it affect you now?

My most important memory is hard to single out. The most important memories are the ones about Flor and the time I spent with her. Our relationship and how everything ended -- these motivate me to become as strong

What type of person are you?  Are you a hero or do you shy away from conflict?  

I try to do the right thing. It took me a while to learn how to value my own life, so risking it for others was never a problem.

Do you have any hobbies, any special talents?

I like spending time with my pet coyote, Shadow. Swimming is fun. It helps me get away from the rest of the crew. Although, occasionally it makes me a target for Ce's practical jokes.

And in that line, what would be your ideal day?  

My ideal day would be spending time with my friends, not worrying about anything. I know it sounds cheesy, but just being with the people you care about is all you need to get through the hard times.

Do you have anyone close to you, any family or friends of interest?

When I was in Guaymas, Miguel and Gigante were my best friends. On Chiloe, Flor was my world. Now I have the Captain, Ce, Juan, Alrek, Sonya, and Jamie. Through it all, Shadow has never left my side.

What is your most prized possession?

My sword is my most prized possession. It was created by Masamune, the greatest blacksmith in the world's history. He named it Ten Thousand Cold Nights. Most weapons don't hurt ghosts and demons, not unless they are plated with silver. Cold Nights is one of the few steel weapons that can harm them.

What initially spurred your actions in this story.  Obviously it had to start somewhere for you, give us an idea of where that starting point is and where it all started.

I was looking for a place in the world. When you don't remember your past, that is all you can do. I ended up where I could find a job, and, more importantly, peace and friends.

How do you envision your future? 

I see it much like the present. In the last one hundred fifty years, time has become relative. Everyday is a lot of the same: hunting monsters, helping people, learning magic, and growing stronger. At some point, I hope to get revenge on Neuale, in Mexico, and Righteous Province, in Chile.

Tell us where we can read more about you?  (The book(s) they are featured in)

Luke Coles and the Flower of Chiloe is the first book I am in. There are three other books I will be featured in and others where I will play a side role. There titles are a secret for now. The second features the Cegua, from Costa Rica, and the Bunyip, of Australia, as partial antagonists. Corpo Seco, a Brasilian myth, takes center stage for the third book. The fourth book involves an army from a golden city and the principal antagonists of the series. It will conclude my main story, but, when you are immortal, you never know when another adventure may find you.

Author: Josh Walker
Author's blog or website:
@elsharkwalker <---author twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment