Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Character Wednesdays: Dylan Jones from Riches to Rags


Welcome to Character Wednesdays! 

This is where I'll be interviewing character from different books, novels and short stories.  If you're an author and you would like your character to be interviewed, please send me an email.


Dylan Jones from Riches to Rags

Tell me a little about yourself and the world you live in.  
I’m Dylan Jones and I’m a seventh grader at Langdon Middle School.  I’m just an average kid whose parents have some money.  I get hassled a lot about that.
  
Tell us your most closely guarded secret?
Well, in my history class, old lady Wickware had us pick a name or subject out of this box and then an oral report is due – you know, boring stuff, right?   Anyway, the paper I pick has the word Orphan Train on it.  Well Wickware put her hand on my shoulder and WHAM – I am standing at a train depot in 1875!  I am staring at the actual Orphan Train.  I’m serious!  You can’t make this stuff up!
  
Tell us about your single most important memory.  What was it and how does it affect you now?
You won’t believe this but this man, no this jerk, drops a little boy and a baby – no joke, a baby, off at the cement platform outside the depot.  Then this…this…man just leaves.  They are crying and he just leaves!
  
What type of person are you?  Are you a hero or do you shy away from conflict?  
I’m no hero, that’s for sure, but let me tell you I didn’t shy away from that dude.  We had words.
  
Do you have anyone close to you, any family or friends of interest?
I’m lucky cause I have a lot of friends and my family is awesome.  But when I was on that train, I met a kid my age. He seemed really cool but his story was awful.  It was weird that I have money in my pockets most days and I didn’t that day.  I would have liked to have been able to give him some.  I can’t get him out of my mind, and I wonder how things turned out for him.
  
What initially spurred your actions in this story.  Obviously it had to start somewhere for you, give us an idea of where that starting point is and where it all started.
Well I had heard stories of bizarre things happening in old lady Wickware’s history classes, like other kids being sent back in time, but come on, who would believe that? Plus, nobody has actually said it happened to them, out loud anyway.  I know first hand now and believe me, except for you, I’m not talking either.

Tell us where we can read more about you?  (The book(s) they are featured in)
Riches to Rags, Book 5 of the Wickware Sagas
  
Excerpt from Riches to Rags
“Daddy, we don’t want to go with them. We want to stay with you.” His lips
were quivering and his eyes filled with tears.

The man stood. “I done told you, since your mama died I can’t care for you.
Now, you will do what I tell you.” He turned to walk away but the boy grabbed his
arm.

“Daddy…” The man shoved the little boy, making him fall, landing hard on the
cement. Both boy and baby were now crying and Dylan noticed not one person
stopped to help.

“Hey,” Dylan yelled, “maybe you need to man up and go talk to the lady
yourself. It takes a really brave man to push a little boy around.” Dylan’s face was
purple with anger.

“This ain’t none of your concern, kid,” the man yelled over his shoulder as he
practically ran through the door, escaping his kids screams.

“You can’t leave them here, you gutless wonder!” Dylan yelled, but their father was long gone. “People can’t just throw their kids away,” he muttered, picking up
the screaming baby, afraid she would get stepped on.

“It happens all the time.”

Dylan turned to see a boy, a few years older than himself, leaning against the
wall. He was dressed in dirty long pants and a shirt that seemed to have more holes than material.


Author:  Penny Estelle
Author's blog or website: 


                                            * * * *

I have more stories for the middle grade kiddos and several for the older group.  In April I have a historical romance coming out, Revenge, the Cowboy Way and in May my first children’s picture book coming out, Have You Seen My Tail?

You can find out more about my stories and me at the following links.  Please stop by and visit, join, and like.  I love visitors and comments!




1 comment:

  1. Good morning, Snow! Thank you so much for letting me stop by today! Musings is such a great place to visit!

    ReplyDelete