Friday, December 19, 2014

Character Days: Karina from Black Friday

Tell me a little about yourself and the world you live in.

My youth was spent near the Appalachians at the western edge of North Carolina then, after my parents died, moved to live near Spring Lake, NC. where an old family friend raised me until I finished high school. Life growing up with my adopted uncle was average though he did enjoy teaching me how to track and hunt. If anything, I did learn how to become a good hunter.

I was born mute, so there were many problems with being with kids my own age until I was sent to a special school. Honestly, I didn't care for it or public schooling but did well enough to graduate.

I'm the type of person who'd rather live alone, away from the crowds of the city. Way I see it, your average human has no clue how to understand anyone different from the norm. This is why my home is out in the woods far away from them.
Of course, Marcus, my husband has shown me that not everyone is like that. I don't know what I'd do without him or our children.

Lets jump right in, what's your most closely guarded secret?
I'm a werecat. Now, it isn't a secret.

Tell us about your single most important memory. What was it and how does it affect you now?
The night the goddess of the feline clans came to me and ordered me to find one who would help save my people and all the other were-folk still in the world before our race was completely lost. That vision is still guiding me but my Goddess is always there, pointing me in the right direction while I train my adopted son, Nick in the ways of my people and show him how to fight against our enemies.

What type of person are you? Are you a hero or do you shy away from conflict?
I'm no hero by any standard, but I will fight to protect my own. I'm a teacher and guide by the definitions of the werewolf clans. Some seem to think I'm a shaman, but I'm not.

Do you have any hobbies, any special talents?
Does hunting count as a hobby? I love fishing if that matters. Special talents? Not really though, of all the people of my race, few have a stronger mental talent when in feral form.

What sets you out from the crowd? Like your talents, would I be able to spot you if I passed you by?
I tend to blend in. No one would guess who or what I am unless I wanted them to know. Maybe, if you spotted me signing, I'd stand out.

What's an ideal day for you?
Peaceful and quiet laziness in the sun with Marcus by my side. Maybe a little hunting.

Do you have any one close? Any friends or family of interest?
I've mentioned my husband, Marcus, many times already. Then there's Aiden, former leader of the local werewolf pack, Nick, my adopted son. Oh! I can't forget Nehana, he used to be Nick's pet before Nick disappeared years ago. Nehana found us later after the wolf clan's god triggered his first transformation into a werewolf.

What about your most prized possession?
I don't have a prized possession.

Back to your story, what initially spurred your actions? Everything had to start somewhere, so where's your beginning?
The night my Goddess ordered me to find Nick. Started on Black Friday, of all days and his first fight happened in a department store of all places. Wasn't my fault they built their store on an ancient battle ground.

Where do you think your future will lead?
With luck, bringing the were-folk into the future where we can live peacefully with humans and the magicians hiding among them.

Where can we find more about you?
There isn't much to tell right now. I can be found telling this story in the book Black Friday and some information about me and the others on the Facebook group Fantastic Furry Realms. There are more stories coming but nothing available, yet.

Author: Candace Gauger
You can buy the book here!
Author's website: http://candacegauger.wordpress.com


No comments:

Post a Comment