Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Character Days: Jim Ecklund from In The End

Tell me a little about yourself and the world you live in.
There's not really much to say about me. I'm alive. A lot of people aren't. And some who aren't, should be. The world I'm living in may be the same as the one I've always lived in, or that might all be gone. We don't know yet. We're kind of stuck up here in the mountains above Denver - which is definitely gone now.

Let's jump right in, what's your most closely guarded secret?

I guess I don't really hate people as much as I say I do. That's the only secret I feel comfortable revealing. I don't like to think about the bigger one.

Tell us about your single most important memory. What was it and how does it affect you now?
I remember being tied down on my foster parent's bed and being whipped. Mercilessly. In my mind, I just kept screaming silently, "I hate you!" over and over. I think it affects me now by making me a little angry at people. I don't have a lot of tolerance for bullshit and evil.

What type of person are you? Are you a hero or do you shy away from conflict?
Inside I feel like a loner. I'd rather avoid people, which would enable me to avoid conflict, but I'm kinda stuck with a small group right now. And sometimes I get forced into situations that I guess you might call heroic. Like rescuing people and shit.

Do you have any hobbies, any special talents?
Staying alive. Thinking ahead. Watching out for danger. Making sure no harm ever comes to Angela.

What sets you out from the crowd? Like your talents, would I be able to spot you if I passed you by?
You'd probably notice me because I have a knack for saying completely inappropriate things, often at the worst times. But that just the way my sense of humor works. I'm not trying to shock anyone. Just trying to keep myself entertained.

What's an ideal day for you?
That would be when we don't encounter any strangers and everyone is safe from dawn to dusk.

Do you have any one close? Any friends or family of interest?
Not really. I would say that Angela is someone I really care about, but I don't know if she'd say the same about me. In fact, it's better she doesn't feel anything for me.

What about your most prized possession?
I never really had much in the way of possessions, and what little I did have is back at the dorm. All we really brought with us for what was supposed to just be a vacation is our clothing and some electronics that are useless now. Like our cell phones and Angie's iPad. We still keep them with us though. There's always a chance that we'll find a place with electricity.

Back to your story, what initially spurred your actions? Everything had to start somewhere, so where's your beginning?
I hope it leads to home. Not for me. I don't have a home aside from the dorm, but for Angie. Her family is important to her. I know she misses a lot of people, and her friends, and everything. I hope we make it back.

Where do you think your future will lead?
Like I said, we were just going on vacation. But I guess you'd say that our group formed when Angela saw Terry stuck on the ski lift. We went over to rescue his dumb ass, and we've stuck together since then.

Where can we find more about you?
The first part of what we've experienced, you know, like when the nuke went off in Denver and what we did afterwards when there was no electricity, and no cops, or anything, all of that is in the book, In The End. The stuff that happened after that is being written.

Author: Edward M Wolfe
Buy the Book: http://amzn.com/B00HJIIRZG
Author Website: http://edwardmwolfe.com/blog


No comments:

Post a Comment