Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Character Days: Chauncey McFadden from Death by Downsizing, Vietnam Vindication, Death Cruise, Bad Vibrations

Tell me a little about yourself and the world you live in.

I am a private detective with an office in a rundown area of North Hollywood, Los Angeles. Most legitimate businesses had abandoned the area years ago in anticipation of advancing urban decay. The few surviving stores, propped up by cheap rent and free parking, hung on for dear economic life and included the usual denizens of the dump: tattoo parlors, tanning emporiums, bail bond offices, paycheck cashers, liquor stores, and pawn brokers—businesses whose clients were more likely to appear on police blotters than society pages. Even the gangs that once livened up the area had fled some years ago for better ZIP codes. The only evidence of their prior habitation was the faded graffiti that still managed to cling tenuously to cracked stucco walls and a few looted phone booths that dotted the sidewalks like Stonehenge monoliths.

Air quality in the area had been in a funk lately from forest fires that were burning near Bakersfield. Slowly and surely, the acrid smoke and accompanying ash had risen into the upper air currents to waft their way 
westward. The result was general discomfort and upper respiratory misery in the coastal cities.
Lets jump right in, what's your most closely guarded secret?
I am apprehensive at best when working on homicide cases because of the danger involved and my relative inexperience.

Tell us about your single most important memory. What was it and how does it affect you now?
Almost getting killed by a maniacal serial killer in my first homicide case in Bad Vibrations. This experience has made me very apprehensive in getting myself involved in murder investigations.

What type of person are you? Are you a hero or do you shy away from conflict?
I am anything but a hero. I am merely trying to survive in a violent world of despicable characters, committing unspeakable acts.

Do you have any hobbies, any special talents?
I am a former English teacher in an east L.A. high school. I quit when the occupation became too dangerous.

What sets you out from the crowd? Like your talents, would I be able to spot you if I passed you by?
My appearance sets me off from the crowd. I look like anything but the prototypical PI. I am short, fat, bald and wear glasses with thick frames. I would not be noticed by most since I have few attractive discerning features.

What's an ideal day for you?
An ideal day for me is getting paid by a client and finding coupons in the paper for the local buffet.

Do you have any one close? Any friends or family of interest?
I have a girlfriend, Girtha Roote. She is a waitress at a diner which has been in continuous existence since the days of catholic friars who founded a chain of California missions.

What about your most prized possession?
My most prized possession is my intellect and intuitive skill in inductive and deductive logic. I also possesse sound communication skills. My most prized physical possession is my 1952 maroon Hudson which is held together with spit and baling wire.

Where do you think your future will lead?
To a successful career in private investigations if not a financial remunerative one.

Where can we find more about you?
I am in four published mysteries - Bad Vibrations, Death Cruise, Vietnam Vindication, and Death by Downsizing.

Author: Dan Anderson
You can buy the book here!
Author's website:  www.dananderson-mysteryauthor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment