Thursday, January 8, 2015

Character Days: Dexter Knight from Bitter Bread

Tell me a little about yourself and the world you live in.
I live in a small town in outback Queensland, Australia. I own a baker's shop. I've been here seven years but I'm an outsider. Most people find the fact that I am badly disfigured on one side of my face challenging.

So I tend to not interact with people, except as customers.

Let's jump right in, what's your most closely guarded secret?

I have faced down the personification of madness.

Tell us about your single most important memory. What was it and how does it affect you now?
The car accident that killed my father and left me looking like this. It has affected me in many ways. Look at my face. How would you feel?

What type of person are you? Are you a hero or do you shy away from conflict?
I'm no hero. However sometimes one has to choose a side and once I have chosen a side, I am unshakable.

Do you have any hobbies, any special talents?
I am a good baker of bread. I'm good at, or for, nothing else.

What sets you out from the crowd? Like your talents, would I be able to spot you if I passed you by?
I would be the one you would try to avoid staring at. But your eyes would be drawn to my ugly face.

What's an ideal day for you?
One that ends with me still breathing.

Do you have any one close? Any friends or family of interest?
There is a young woman who helps me. Her name is Maree and I am in love with her. Of course I haven't told her that.

What about your most prized possession?
I have no prized possessions.

Back to your story, what initially spurred your actions? Everything had to start somewhere, so where's your beginning?
We keep going back to the car accident. That's where I remember it all starting from. Even my mother's abuse came after that.

Where do you think your future will lead?
I don't know. I am trying to learn how to hope. It doesn't come easy for me.

Where can we find more about you?
Bitter Bread is part of the Heartland series of novellas.

Author: John Holland
You can buy the book here: 
http://amzn.com/B00MZHKUAG 


Author Website:
http://poetrysansfrontieres.weebly.com/louisa-publishing.html

No comments:

Post a Comment